You’re from an EEA country (includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland

You can enter the UK with either a valid passport or a national identity card issued by an EEA country.

You’re not from an EEA country

You must have a valid passport to enter the UK. It must be valid for the whole of your stay.

You may also need a visa, depending on which country you’re from. When coming to the UK for conferences, apply for a Standard Visitor visa. The earliest you can apply for this kind of visa is 3 months before you travel.
Visit for further information.

The European Sociological Association will provide invitation letters through ConfTool for all authors of accepted abstracts and registered participants, around Spring 2019. Please note that the ESA cannot handle individual visa requests and cannot be held responsible if you do not obtain your visa in time for the conference.

Below you can find an official letter issued by Marketing Manchester – the city's agency charged with promoting the area – confirming that the ESA conference will be held in Manchester in August 2019. It may be useful for your visa application.

Last updated: January 2019