Become a Member
As an ESA Member you will:
- Gain access to a worldwide network of 2800+ sociologists, organised in 37 Research Networks, meeting at conferences, providing information, contacts and opportunities;
- Have full online access to the ESA journals European Societies and European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology, both published by Routledge;
- Be able to publish in ESA's e-journal, The European Sociologist, and comment on all the articles;
- Have access to the ESA website where you can post CFPs, job offers and new books under 'Opportunities';
- Receive discounts on all Sociology titles at Berghahn (35%), Bristol University Press/Policy Press (25%), Emerald (20%), and Routledge (20%, including publications in the ESA book series);
- Pay a substantially reduced fee for the ESA conference and all 37 midterm conferences of the Research Networks!
Through your membership fee, you will help the ESA to:
- Organise a biennial conference which is the largest European sociological conference, held in different parts of Europe. Previous conferences took place in Manchester, Athens, Prague, Turin, Geneva, Lisbon, Glasgow, Torun, Murcia, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Essex, Budapest, Vienna;
- Support 37 Research Networks (and any new ones) through services and a biennial funding for their midterm conferences;
- Conduct a yearly PhD Summer School which includes full funding for the selected PhD students;
- Publish two international, peer-reviewed journals, European Societies and the European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology, incl. their free online access for ESA members;
- Offer the e-journal The European Sociologist as a means of communication within the whole sociological community;
- Act as a stakeholder in public, political and scholarly debates around the future of the discipline;
- Represent sociology at an international level, especially in negotiations about the framing of the European Research Area.