For the Barcelona Conference hackathon, participants are invited to get together to develop ideas in different areas related to the conference, considering also that the conference will take a hybrid format.
To promote initiatives to be developed in the context of a hybrid format for the ESA 2021 conference.
Below you can find the proposed areas. Note that you will be asked to choose one or more of these when registering. Within each area you can find suggestions to orient the development of your ideas. However, these are not prescriptive:
Area01. Leisure and culture activities ?
- Online walks & tours
- On-site walks & tours
- Online going-out
- On-site going-out
- Activities for families
- Beyond Barcelona
Area02. Junior sociologists ?
- Peer networking
- Peer career prospects
- Peer support
- Peer mentoring
Area03. Networking ?
- Research networks
Area04. Logistics ?
- Accessibility and inclusion
Area05. Purple point ?
- Stop harassment
Area06. Communication ?
- Online platforms
- Social media communication strategy
- Conference dissemination
Area07. Other ?
Registration is open to all ESA members and attendees at the 15th ESA Conference. You can become a member through the membership section on ESA's webiste and you can register for the conference via Conftool.
To register for the #ESAHackathon please complete the online form. Then you will receive and invite to Discord, where all communication with the organizers and other participants will be centralized.
More info on Discord below.
For this Hackathon, we will use Discord for communications, Forms for registration and submission of ideas and online video platforms (e.g. Youtube, Vimeo) to host the video that is part of your submission.
Over the following weeks (see agenda; coming soon!) we will send you an invite email to our Discord workspace. All channels (explained below) are open; please feel free to muting/unmuting them, according to your preferences.
To make it easier to identify you, set your status as:
- ? Mentor
- ❤️ Organizers
- Participants: choose the emoji of your area
Also, please fill-in your Discord profile:
- First & Last Name
- Organization / Team - so we know who you are
- Upload your photo - so we know how you look like
We set up an easy to use Discord Workspace with channels that will help you have a great experience during this hackathon.
Please respect others and don’t spam those channels even if you could.
Use Threads in Discord as they redirect the conversations outside of the main thread, which helps to reduce the speed with which information is coming in.
General Information Channels
- #0-announcements: Here you will get news during the whole hackathon.
- #0-how-to-form-a-team: Helping you to understand how to create a team on Discord so you can chat with your teammates in private.
- #0-how-to-find-a-mentor: Find all information you need on mentorship and support, how to find mentors, request mentorship and information on the checkpoints so you can get yourself well-prepared for your daily check-ins.
- #0-useful-tools-resources: Some tools we think might be helpful for your team.
- #0-how-to-submit-your-solution: Informs you on how to deliver your final solution - more infos about this are also in this document.
- #0-channel-directory: A full list of all channels we offer and what their scopes are.
We prefixed these channels with “0” so that Discord sorts them to the very top for you #lifehack ?
General exchange channels
- #selfie-channel: How’s your workspace setup?
- #brainmarket: Are you on the look-out for someone with a specific skill? Do you have some unique superpowers, this is your place to find team members across challenges.
- #eu-community: One channel where we all come together. This channel will live longer than the hackathon and can help you connect with people across Europe. So take care to not spam it :)
In these channels you will find our domain leads and domain boards, which will keep you up to date and share their expertise.
- #area05-Purple point
Within each of the area channels, you will find
#a01-search-team: If you are a team and you are searching for a team or specific type of person to join your team, then please post it here.
#a01-ask-organizers: Our team of organizers are here to you find your way in and around the hackathon.
#a01-report-spam: If you see someone spamming please @mention them here and state in which channel the person is spamming and we will take care of it.
#a01-challenge-info: This channel allows teams to request challenge-specific input, start conversation with the challenge lead and challenge experts, and request mentorship in their challenge area.
#a01-mentors: participants that signed in as mentors, will be available in this channel to provide their support.
All teams can create a public team channels. This channel will be your easy way to get in touch with the Organizers for any questions or matters.
Please use the following logic for naming convention:
for a team working with the area “logistics” (a04) with the project name “super efficient”, their channel name should be: #team-a04-SuperEfficient
Check you challenge id here in this document or in a discord channel #0-channel-directory
Feel free to create your own private channels in Discord where you can invite others to join you on a solution you want to work on. This way you can chat in private and don’t get distracted by other participants. But always keep an eye on your team's public channel.
Participant - any participant in the ESA hackathon. Participants must be ESA members and/or attendees at the 15th ESA Conference.
Team - A group between 2-10 participants working on a specific project to solve a challenge.
Mentor - A person with expertise in one or more fields, who is able to support a team with a specific problem or need. The skill Mentor is committed to investing time throughout the weekend to assist in the growth and development of others.
Organizers - the organisational unit synchronising all work
This hackathon is aimed at contributing new ideas towards the organization of #esa2021BCN. You can use these areas as a guidance, but also contribute ideas in areas that were not foreseen. You can also develop and submit more than one idea with your group, or with different groups. The bottomline is: there are no restrictions!
IMPORTANT: You must first register as a participant through the following form, before you can join our Discord workspace where you gain access to the community.
All team members must register, and then create a team channel on discord. This is how you formally create your team. Remember to use the following logic for naming convention:
- #team-a[area id]-[projectname]
- for a team working with the area “logistics” (a04) with the project name “super efficient”, their channel name should be: #team-a04-SuperEfficient
- Check you challenge id here in this document or in a discord channel #0-channel-directory
The maximum number of team members is 10. There is no minimum number, you can also submit a project if you are alone. What matters is that your project can truly contribute to improving people’s lives.
You do not need a team to participate in this hackathon. However, if you would like to join one and could not find any, fear not. Just go to discord and post into your area channel #a??-search-team and also inform our #c??-ask-organizers so they can hook you up with a team that fits.
The #a?? stands as a placeholder for the area you are in (e.g. #a01, #a04).
? Mentor: A person with expertise in one or more fields, who is able to support a team with a specific problem or need.
Mentors are here to help teams hands-on if they have problems in areas they need specific expertise. Mentors don’t have to do the work for you, they work hands-on with you on a specific problem/topic.
The main goal for the mentorship is to:
- Support you in get going again if you get stuck somewhere
- Provide you with actionable advice in order to deliver your idea
You can recognise Mentors by their NAME_[Field]_[organisation] ? e.g. Jan_design_IamStudio ?
To get in direct-contact with Mentors, go to the specific channel for your area: #c??-ask-mentors
In this channel you can either:
- Respond to a mentor introduction message: by replying to their offer in the thread or reaching out by Private Message.
- Share a Mentor Request, including:
- The one-liner of your project
- Exact Problem/Need you are facing
- Link to your Devpost Project
Mentors will aim to always look through the oldest help requests first in the channel, and get back to you as soon as possible.
- If a mentor is interested in taking your problem on:
- they’ll mark the post with: raised_hand: ✋ emoji + comment.
- When the problem has been solved:
- please mark the post with white_check_mark: ✅
Please keep comments, questions and discussions in the thread or move to private channels / virtual conferencing (Zoom, Hangout etc)
To wrap up the weekend of work, The hackathon will end with pitches of your ideas. Pitches consist of a 2 min-short video, in which the idea is presented. The final link of your pitch will be submitted through a Form.
For the video part, you have two strict requirements:
- No longer than 2 minutes
- Uploaded to YouTube (OR SIMILAR) as a public video (it can be “unlisted” if you want to)
For the rest, it is up to you, but we recommend structuring the video into 4 parts:
- the need identified,
- the solution you propose,
- what you will do,
- how it contributes to the conference
So you have 2 minutes to cover 4 topics. We suggest dedicating about 30 seconds for each topic, but you are free to be more flexible. Please keep in mind that all identified needs/ solutions should only focus on the organization of the 15th ESA Conference (Hybrid/Barcelona).
The following criteria will be taken into account in the evaluation of proposals:
- Contribution to the conference
- Contribution to participation at the conference
The jury will be integrated by 3 members of the Conference Committee and 2 members of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC).
After the submission deadline, your submission will be evaluated by a panel of 5 jurors using the evaluation criteria mentioned above on a scale of 1-5 for each criteria, and the sum of all the scores will be your final submission score.
Your submission score will be evaluated with other submissions within your challenge. If your submission is in the top 10%, the panel will hold another voting with the same criteria, to select the winning project and two runner ups.
Winners will be notified and announced via email first and then publicly through Social Media. More info on relevant dates coming soon!
More information coming soon!
When talking about the event on social media, please use the hashtags #esaHACKATHON and #esa2021BCN so we can re-share your posts!
Feel free to ask any questions through our Discord channels.
From the #ESAHackathon team