Young Scholar Award
The European Sociological Association presents the first edition of the Young Scholar Award in 2021. This award honours the best paper from a PhD dissertation.
- The winner will be publicly announced at the closing ceremony, where he/she will receive a diploma and award.
- Waiver on the 15th ESA Conference fee and of membership for one term (2 years)
- Invitation to present the paper in a Midday Special session of the 15th Conference
- Recommendation for publication at one of the ESA journals
Eligibility of applicants
Applicants must have had presented their PhD dissertation within the two last years (2019-2020).
Submit application for the 2021 award to esa.assistant[at] europeansociology.org by July 1st, 2021.
The winner will be announced by August, 15th.
1. Original paper. Applicants should present an original paper that has not been sent for publication elsewhere. The paper should comply with the following guidelines:
- Language: English
- Abstract: 150-250 words
- 5 keywords
- Extension: max. 6000 words (excluding references)
- References: APA 7th edition
- Format: Word
To ensure anonymity, papers should not include any reference to the author or include the name of the author in any way (headers, authorship…).
2. Cover letter. It should include family and first name of the applicant, e-mail address and the title of the paper. The cover letter should also provide an explanation of the relationship of the paper with the PhD dissertation and its contribution to sociology and the social sciences field.
3. Letter of endorsement from PhD supervisor. This should explain the nature and merits of the work done by the applicant, and provide an overview of the candidate’s academic excellence.
4. Short CV (max 2 pages)
- Your Full Name
- Academic affiliation (Department, University)
- Country (where registered for PhD)
- Year of PhD completion
- Email address
- Phone number
- Name, institutional affiliation, and email address of your primary supervisor
Papers will be assessed through the following criteria:
- Scientific relevance and strength of the research
- Theoretical & analytical framework
- Adequacy of the methodological approach and design of the study
- Originality of the contribution
- Clarity of style
The cover letter, CV and endorsement are requisites to the evaluation process. In case that one of these documents is absent, the application will not be considered for evaluation.
2021 Selection Committee Members:
For the 2021 edition, the selection committee will be integrated by the following members:
- Chair and a member of the Post-Graduate Committee
- ESA Conference Chair
- Editors of ESA Journals